Tuesday, May 22, 2012

New Project......¿Liberated?



Well, I've become quite a fan of Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran.  I have purchased their two collaborative books and two Gwen Marston books.  So far I'm only on the tip of the iceberg with putting their principles into practice.  I've made the liberated star blocks to make a backing for a Double 4 Patch quilt (a work presently in progress) and I've made a quilt using house blocks (for my friend Gail - the Fast Cats Quilts).  I'm finding it difficult to stray from the quilting principles of exactness and accuracy - I felt that the house blocks in Fast Cats were too straight and square.....but I have to say that I did pretty good with the star blocks for the Double 4 Patch quilt - and they were very fun to make.  Now I've begun playing with a medallion quilt design.....I'm not too far into it.  I've only cut the center piece and have added 2 borders.  The first border is made up of half square triangles and yes, they are pretty accurately done.....but I did not try to make them fit exactly to the center - I just cut the HST's off at the end of the side they were attached to......after that border I added a plain border - the strips are the same width but I didn't use all the same fabric - there are 4 different fabrics in this "plain" appearing border.  So now I ask myself, "¿How liberated am I? and ¿How capable am I of achieving a truly liberated affect?"  All I can say is, more investigation is needed.


Bueno, me he convertido en un gran fan de Gwen Marston y Freddy Moran. He comprado sus dos libros en colaboración y dos libros de Gwen Marston. Hasta el momento Sólo estoy en la punta del iceberg con la puesta en práctica de sus principios. He hecho los bloques de estrellas liberadas para hacer un respaldo de un quilt de Double 4 Patch (una obra actualmente en curso) y he hecho un edredónquilt usando bloques de la casa (para mi amiga Gail el quilt “Gatos Rápidos”). Me resulta difícil apartarse de los principios de quilting de exactitud y precisión - Sentí que los bloques de las casas en el quilt Gatos Rapidos eran demasiados rectos y cuadrados ..... pero tengo que decir que lo hice bastante bien con los bloques de estrellas para el quilt  Double 4 Patch - y que era muy divertido de hacer. Ahora he empezado a jugar con un diseño de quilt medalla ..... no estoy muy avanzada con el. Yo sólo he cortado la pieza central y se han añadido 2 de los borderes. El primer border se compone de Half Square Trianlges y sí, se hacen con bastante exactitud ..... pero yo no tratar de hacer que encajen exactamente con los lados del centro - que acaba de cortar el HST es bajar en la final de la parte que se adjunta a ...... después del border he añadido un borde liso - las tiras son de la misma anchura pero no usó todo la tela misma - hay 4 telas diferentes en este border. Así que ahora yo me pregunto, "¿Cómo liberada soy yo? Y ¿Cómo soy capaz de lograr un efecto verdaderamente liberado?" Todo lo que puedo decir es que, más investigación es necesaria.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of them too! Their concept of the "Parts Department" is interesting. Your border looks beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you have done so far. I have a hard time deviating from 90 degree corners. I don't always measure...but I do like to keep things square. Happy investigating!

    ReplyDelete